A lot of people have asked me how I do my Polaroids, so I'd like to explain how I come up with ideas for my projects and how I eventually end up doing them. This is how I developed the concept for my latest Polaroid lift and realized it in practice.
|I Dreamed of Flyig Fish Last Night|
So much for the intellectual level so to speak. Let's turn to the practical approach now.
I got myself some plastic fish and some plastic butterfly wings and made flying fish from them. In order to do this, I cut off the plastic butterfly wings and slit the sides of the plastic fish in order to put the wings into them. Then I hung them up on very thin plastic yarn and took a shot. Since I wanted to use a doubling technique, this was going to be the first layer:
I took another shot of a fittig background I chose accordigly. I decided I wanted it to be some kind of plant to make it look as if the fish was flying around a flower/plant. I chose lavendar because the dry streaky branches fit the decay I still had in mind when thinking of the original piece of music.
|I Dreamed of Flying Fish Last Night|
I also took a couple of other shots for this series, among them my first two tries at real double exposures. Th efirst one was way overexposed, but the second worked quite well:
|The first double exposure: way overexposed|
|Polaroid Double Exposure|
|Another Double Emuslion Lift|
|My Mother and Hamurg Harbour Double|
|Brighton Beach Double|
|Water Nymph I|
|My Polaroid featured on the selection of artlimited.net's main page on October 9, 2012|